and I even love Mondays…
I know that’s weird. Maybe it’s because I’m always in search of a fresh start.
I love how it says in the Bible that God’s mercies are new every morning. Think about it… God even says each day can be a new start.
“The Lord’s loving kindnesses indeed never cease,
For His compassions never fail.
They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
“The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I have hope in Him.”
So God must be in favor of New Year’s resolutions or goals or whatever you want to call them! 😉
My husband and I started a new tradition a few years back with our kids. We have a family theme word that is centered around a scripture. We wanted to teach our children when they were little the value of “preferring others” So we told them what that means and what it looks like. We found a scripture or two around that theme and taught it to our children.
When we saw our children sharing a toy or a treat we would call them out and praise them for preferring their brother or sister. If we saw them not doing that we would remind them of the scripture, and of course they would change their attitude *insert smirk face here*…
Last year our theme word was “kindness”. We taught our now teenage children about how God is kind and how his kindness leads people to repentance and just by being kind to someone they are being like Jesus. We pray with each of our children before they leave for school and we always prayed that they would show kindness to someone who looked like they needed encouragement even if it was just a smile.
For 2016 our family word is forgiveness.
As for personal goals for the year. I like to make a list. Some goals are on my list every year ***sigh***, some are repeats for me to try once again to master.
I keep it where it is visible to me everyday. So I put it in my journal. This year for the first time I ordered a beautiful planner so I may put it there.
Here is my list and little advice to myself on how I can meet these goals.
- Wake up early to have time to spend journaling, praying and reading the Bible( set alarm to make sure I’m up before the kids wake up)
- Spend more time with Erik who is my senior! (text him to set up lunch dates)
- Do more meal planning for family meals around the table. You can read about a post about the importance of family dinners here.(write in planner to do this on Sundays)
- Try to work up to 2 blog posts and then get up to 3 by the spring (plan blog entries in photo in planner)
- Work out 6 days a week even if it’s just a walk with the dog! (write this down in planner make it a priority)
- Juice more ( keep juicer on the counter)
- HOUSE GOAL get organized ( sign up for organizing groups online or IG to motivate!) if you know of any let me know!!!
- Be a more intentional in reaching out to friends (buy stamps for card box, send real letters)
- Organize family photos (buy more photo books, organize one box a week)
- Be better at organizing my time and not taking on too much (organize day in planner and stick to it)
I posted the above picture to show the BEFORE. That lovely table from Ikea is great! It has four separate compartment shelves and a big shelf on the bottom. I moved it out of that room, because no matter how many times I organized it, because I am a “stuffer” it was constantly filled with junk! So I threw away about 20 magazines and put some books on shelves and decided to replace it with a vintage trunk 😉 I’ll let you know if it works out better!
HAPPY NEW YEAR! I’d love to hear what your goals are for 2016!