Every Monday since my children were littles Mondays were always “Mac & Cheese Mondays”. My kids love this meal. So much so that when my son came home from college this past Christmas it was on his “I can’t wait to eat this when I get home list”! Nothing is more comforting than Homemade Macaroni and Cheese. And nothing happens to be easier!
At times I have mixed up the cheeses especially if it is side dish for a dinner party, but for my family they really only like it with sharp cheddar cheese! The recipe in full is at the end of this post, but before we start I have to tell you all you need are noodles, bread crumbs, cheese, spices, nutmeg, flour, butter and milk! Yep, so most people have that on hand in their pantry so let me walk you through the directions incase this is your first time making a white sauce aka a rue.
Melt the butter in a pan & add the flour mixing for 1 minute
Add the milk.
Stir often with a wire whisk until the sauce thickens
Add Spices & Stir
If you don’t already have this mix in your pantry go get it! I use camp mix for pretty much ever recipe I have! ( if you are not a big fan of nutmeg…you can use mustard instead, or half nutmeg & half mustard)
This is my favorite for this recipe
Cook Pasta according to directions then add to the sauce
Add to 9×12 baking dish and add Pancko bread crumbs then bake for 10 minutes
Remove from the oven and add croutons & bake for 10 more minutes
After 10 minutes the croutons are perfectly toasted and tasty!
- 16 ounces of macaroni
- 6 tablespoons butter
- ½ C of all-purpose flour
- 5 C of whole milk
- 1 tablespoon of Nutmeg (or half mustard half nutmeg if you prefer)
- 1 tablespoon of Camp Mix or 1 teaspoon each of salt & pepper
- 4 Cups of extra sharp cheddar cheese ( or a mixture of your favs!)
- 4 Tablespoons of Bread Crumbs ( I prefer panko)
- 1 bag of your favorite Croutons
- Pre-Heat 400*
- Cook the macaroni in boiling water for 10 minutes, then drain well.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook gently for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and gradually add the milk. Bring to a boil and continue to cook, stirring, until the sauce thickens, then remove from heat and add the nutmeg and camp mix.
- Stir in the cheese.
- Pour into an ovenproof 9x12 baking dish, sprinkle with breadcrumbs
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and add the Croutons.
- Bake for 10 more minutes.
Pin the image below to save this recipe for dinner later!