I first had this breakfast sausage casserole recipe at a friend’s house for brunch. I called her right after and asked for the recipe. I have tweaked it some since then, but it is one of those recipes that you can’t really goof, and each time you make it you can add different veggies and extra meat to it.
This is the perfect recipe for Christmas morning or when you have overnight guests. You just assemble this yummy egg, sausage, hash brown, cheese & veggie casserole at night, pop it in the fridge. When you wake up pop in the morning bake!
The recipe card is at the end of this post. But first, if you love following a recipe with photos, you will love to the pics first!
The original recipe called for just thawing the hash browns, but I found them to be a bit soggy, so I cook them in a pan for 7 minutes first:
Then line the bottom of the 9×12 baking dish:
I then cook the sausage in a pan on the stove, while they are cooking a little time saver that I do is I use my Pampered Chef kitchen shears and cut them into thirds:
Once they are browned a little add them to the top of the hash browns:
Now add the dozen eggs to your mixer bowl, your spices, cheese, milk and any veggies you want to throw in. I like to add green onions and red peppers for a pop of Christmas!
My favorite seasoning to add is either “CAMP MIX” or Tastefully Simple Season Salt
Then pour over the sausage and hash browns:
cover and put it in the fridge overnight, or you absolutely can assemble and cook it in the morning.
- 1 (30 ounce) package of sausage links
- 9-12 eggs ( I prefer 12 so it is more egg than potato)
- 3 Cups of milk
- 1½ tsp of ground mustard
- 2½ tsp of camp mix or season salt
- 1 (30 ounce) Package of frozen country-style Hash browns
- 2 Cups of Shredded Mexican or Cheddar Cheese
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- ⅓ cup of thinly sliced green peppers
- Pre-heat oven 375*
- Cook hash browns in a pan for 7-10 min until they are thawed and not wet. Arrange hash browns on the bottom of a 9x12 baking pan.
- Cook Sausage links just until browned, place sausage on top of hash browns.
- Whisk together eggs, seasonings, milk, cheese and veggies.
- Pour the egg mixture over the sausage.
- Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before cooking.
- Uncover and bake for 1 hour. Let stand 10 minutes before serving.